Monday, April 19, 2010

Life Imitates Art: Bangkok Rope Escape

[post 094]

We live in an age of heat-seeking missiles and biometric surveillance, so when Thai rebel leader Arisman Pongruangrong pulled a Douglas Fairbanks and escaped from a hotel surrounded by Bangkok police by climbing a rope down the side of the building, we had one of our more retro physical comedy moments in recent years. Better yet, the deputy prime minister had just gone on national television to announce that they had their man! Pongruangrong, who's also a pop singer, was hugged by his adoring supporters before being spirited out of there in a get-away car. Zorro, anyone?

Here's a video from Reuters:



And here's an article on it from the London Guardian:

Bangkok Escape

1 comment:

Yuri Kageyama said...

thanks for leaving a comment on my blog about Mamako Yoneyama.
here's my reply:

Hi
I've read about her performance as recent as a couple of years ago.
They were in Japan, but I only learned about them on the Web afterward and so I couldn't go check it out.
Her death would make news here for sure. And I have not seen any such reports.