Yahoo! The Film Forum here in lower Manhattan is launching a Pierre Etaix film series, and the famed actor, clown, and filmmaker will be making a personal appearance this Friday evening.
I've written extensively about Pierre Etaix before, notably here and here, but if you're not familiar with his work, know that...
• He's a French filmmaker (Yoyo, Le Grand Amour) who made modern movies drawing upon the style of silent film.
• His films have won many major awards, including an Oscar for his short, Happy Anniversary.
• His work is often compared to that of Jacques Tati, with whom he worked in his early days, most notably on Mon Oncle.
• He also frequently collaborated with now-legendary screenwriter Jean-Claude Carrière.
• He performed as a circus clown ("Yoyo"), partnering his wife Annie Fratellini, and co-founded a Paris circus school with her.
• His films were bought up by a distributer that did nothing with them and were out of circulation for a long time until legal action forced their release.
• Monsieur Etaix is now 83 and still touring!
You can read the whole NY Times article here.
You can see the Film Forum schedule here.
If you're in Chicago, you can see the films in November here.
Lyudmila Kanagina - Created page with "==Aerialist== * Video:Lyudmila Kanagina, trapeze act, at the Circus on Tsvetnoy Boulevard in Moscow (c.1965) Category:Artists and Acts...
40 minutes ago