Monday, April 18, 2011

Comedy Acrobatics: A Catalog of Partner Tricks (who are these performers?)

[post 128]

This video has a gazillion partner acrobatic tricks.  I should know, I counted them.   As is probably inevitable in such a fast-paced club act, the character comedy is a bit of a throw-in, sorta hit and miss, but on the other hand you get tons of terrific stuff.  (One gazillion = several tons.)  But who are they?   This was put on YouTube by Show Pals International, but the performers are not identified, which is pretty odd if you're trying to sell an act. Their web site is a dead-end, so maybe they're out of business.  If anyone knows, drop me a line! 




Update (April 18, 2011): Mystery Solved!
Hi John, the acrobats are dear friends known as "Price & McCoy". They are Terry Price (base) and Henning Pederson (flyer). They are from Australia but have been based in Tarbes, France since about 1990. When i was studying at Dell'arte in 1976 I wanted more acro and found 3 books. One had "EVERY TRICK IN THE BOOK". This book was all stick figure drawings. I taught myself what I could on my own, i.e., the solo tricks up to front handsprings and front saltos over a chair. Quite dangerous for a "non-acrobat." Then in 1984 Price & McCoy and my slapstick duet each were performing in the Sydney Festival. We became friends and Terry helped me to relocate to Sydney. He took me to his teacher Clete Ball. Clete began to teach me "Australian Knockabout" (as per the video you have, but I was at a more basic level). Clete and I became friends and also I worked with him in my theatre production at the Sydney Theatre Company (now directed by Cate Blanchet and hubbie). Clete is the person who knows EVERY TRICK IN THE BOOK (the one I had). I also trained in tumbling with his teacher i.e. with Clete's teacher, George Sparkes.  Clete was the first teacher of the Flying Fruit Flies Circus. He is now 81 and I think has just moved from Albury to Adelaide. He started a group for 'seniors' called The Flying Fruit Bats, using circus and clown for well-being. I wrote to Carlo when I met Clete and Carlo carried that letter in his wallet for about ten years. Clete had his great trio Bal Caron Trio (see youtube) and was in the Ganges Troupe — a Russian troupe dressed in regal wigs who tossed a single woman across the stage. x ira www.iraseid.com
— Posted by Acting Clown Actor — The Seidenstein Method to All Fall Down: The Craft & Art of Physical Comedy at April 18, 2011 8:21 PM

So a big thank you to Ira Seldenstein, whose Acting Clown Actor blog appears in my blog roll in the right panel. (Check it out!) And now here's another video of.... wait! wait! their name's coming to me....

Price & McCoy



And here's the Bal Caron Trio mentioned by Ira:



3 comments:

Ira Seidenstein said...

Hi John, the acrobatics are dear friends known as "Price & McCoy". They are Terry Price (base) and Henning Pederson (flyer) they are from Australia but have been based in Tarbes, France since about 1990. When i was studying at Dell'arte 1976 I wanted more acro and found 3 books. One had "EVERY TRICK IN THE BOOK". This book was all stick figure drawings. I taught myself what I could on my own ie the solo tricks up to front handsprings and front saultoes over a chair. Quite dangerous for a 'non-acrobat'. Then in 1984 Price & McCoy and my slapstick duet each were performing in Sydney Festival. We became friends and Terry helped me to relocate to Sydney. He took me to HIS teacher Clete Ball. Clete began to teach me "Australian Knockabout" (as per the video you have, but I was at a more basic level). Clete and I became friends and also I worked with him in my theatre production at the Sydney Theatre Company (now directed by Cate Blanchet and hubbie). Clete is THE person who knows EVERY TRICK IN THE BOOK (the one I had). I also trained in tumbling with HIS teacher i.e. with Clete's teacher George Sparkes. Clete was the first teacher of the Flying Fruit Flies Circus. He is now 81 and I think has just moved from Albury to Adelaide. He started a group for 'seniors' called The Flying Fruit Bats. Using circus and clown for well-being. I wrote to Carlo when I met Clete and Carlo carried that letter in his wallet for about ten years. Clete had his great trio Bel Carron Trio (see youtube) and was in the Ganges Troupe - a Russian troupe dressed in regal wigs who tossed a single woman across the stage. x ira www.iraseid.com

Unknown said...

Hi John, Hello Ira,
Thanks for the nice comments. Spoke to Clete only yesterday, and he's great, by the way, he still lives in Albury. We're all going well here, keeping ourselves busy. In fact, we're working on new (Comedy Acrobatic) material and hope to have it ready for our Summer engagements in Germany. Still a zillion tricks, but more comedy, and something a little different! Ira we could do with your input. Sending you my best wishes, Terry Price (Price and McCoy)

Ira Seidenstein said...

Terry, I'm on my way. Literally. Fly to Europa t teach Amsterd. n Paree.... will facebook you. John I have semi-slapstick ie a sorta slapstickacting on youtube under Harlequin Dreams parts 1-4. Soon last part 5 will b up and that is more physical. x i