Friday, March 25, 2011

Guest Post: The Art of Karen Gersch — Classic Clowns

[post 114]

It is a real privilege to be able to present the work of Karen Gersch on this blog.  I've known Karen for over three decades (though we're both 29), and she's quite the Renaissance woman: clown, acrobat, painter, educator, producer — and for all of those three decades New York City's hostess to ever so many variety artists visiting from around the globe.  Karen & I even performed in the Hubert Castle Circus together with Fred Yockers in the late 70s, and I want to say in my defense that any stories she may tell about me from those days are nothing more than wine-induced fabrications.  I thought the best way to introduce Karen to the blog was this series of her paintings and drawings of classic clowns.  We'll follow up in later posts with her look at more contemporary clowns, and some of her own performance writing.  But first some links:
Karen's current exhibition at the Blueberry Music & Art House in Greenwich, Connecticut
Karen's art web site.

Karen's Showboat Shazzam (formerly Circus Sundays) series at the fabuloso Waterfront Museum (this is last year's schedule, but check back for this June's events)
Karen's Acrobrats performance web site.
___________________________________



Little Tich





Les Albano




 François Fratellini




Albert Fratellini




Grock



Charlie Chaplin




Buster Keaton





European Clown Trio



José Carlos Queirolo



João Cardona




Chicharrão & Pimentão




Otto Griebling




Oleg Popov




Lou Jacobs & Mike Padillo



Slava

 

5 comments:

Smiling Twin said...

These are sooooo lovely! Thank you John -- and thank you Karen!
PS. John do you remember my twin Kathie's first partner was the amazing Karen Gersch? in a pole perch act? as Nina & Gregory used to say "Karen understands Kathie"
Wonder if she ever made a drawing of their act...

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!

Comedy said...

These are awesome pics...Comedy Tickets NYC

Elin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Digital photos on canvas said...

I was just going through few sites and blogs yesterday and came across your site too. I really liked the way you have presented your site. I was reading some of your content and really found them interesting and informative. So I was just wondering if I can also do something for your site.

Actually I am a freelance content writer and I love writing articles as a hobby on topics related to art, photography.

What if I provide you with an unique article as a Guest Post. An article that will be informative for your readers. The article will be related to your website and will be appreciated by your readers.

It would be great if you can add a small BIO of mine at the end of the article with my related site's links. I guarantee you that the article will be 100% copy scape protected and will be of around 700 words.

Please let me know if this sound good to you, so that we can start working on your article.