Monday, January 1, 2018

The Acrobatic Artwork That Pretty Much Sums Up 2017

[post 435]


Happier new year one and all!

As some of you may know, in addition to laughing at physical comedy and admiring all that skill, I am also quite fond of finding Deep Meaning about the Human Condition in the simplest pratfall. Which is why I loved the "Mechanics of History" art installation by Yoann Bourgeois at the Pantheon in Paris. Here it is, in a video by Tony Whitfield.



I had way too much wine last night to even attempt to analyze the deeper meaning of this work, but luckily this piece in the NY Times by Wesley Morris saved me all that heavy thinking. Heck, I even stole the title!


You can read the whole article here.

I wasn't familiar with Bourgeois' work, though it reminded me of a marvelous trampoline-based nouveau cirque show I'd enjoyed in Paris many years ago but don't remember the name of. Maybe the same director? At any rate, a quick search led to another marvelous piece of his, Celui qui tombe (Whoever falls) which does indeed find meaning in falling.




Also similar, also wonderful, somewhat different... The Art of the Fugue.




You can see an earlier Bourgeois exploration with stairs and trampoline and background in this video

And speaking of Paris, I arrive there from London this Friday (Jan. 5) and am open to suggestions!

No comments: